The past 6 weeks have been amazing. I absolutely love being a mom! Sure, it's hard at some moments, but it's soooo rewarding. I am just so in love with my little boy. Here are a few things I've learned in the past 6 weeks:
*Getting up in the middle of the night to feed Troy isn't horrible...not my favorite thing to do, but I had to remember that it's a joy to provide nourishment to my son and he needs to be fed 8-12 times per day! Also, I've spent my nighttime feedings praying for my son and for so many people. It's been a blessing to have this time to pray.
*Boy we go through a lot of diapers!! It seems like my little boy likes to have "explosions" every so often, which leads to a lot of laundry.
*I do at least 1 load of laundry per day!!
*I've been sprayed several times when I didn't cover Troy right away when changing him
*My favorite time with Troy is between 9-10:30 each morning when he first wakes up for good. He is so smiley and happy. I absolutely treasure this time.
*A remedy to calm Troy down is to take off his clothes and loosen (or sometimes take off) his diaper. He loves being naked!
*Traveling isn't very hard with him...he loves to sleep in the car.
*I have the best husband-he is so kind and helps me out all the time!
*Troy has a fussy time each night. It's usually from 7-9. He just seems to be unhappy no matter what we do.
*Troy loves his baths. At first he didn't like it...but we got some tips from Grandpa Thayer and now he LOVES them. It's very cute! :)
*Being on a routine at night really helps. It signals to Troy that it's time for bed and we rarely have problems with him falling asleep at night.
*Breastfeeding is incredible...it's perfect food for babies! I've learned so much about breastfeeding and I'm so thankful that it is easy for us. We haven't had a single problem with feeding him, and I am surprised because I was expecting it to be difficult. Below are a few things I've learned about breastfeeding.
-Breast milk is easily digested and very economical and convenient
-It promotes attachment and a close, nurturing relationship between us
-Breastfeeding releases oxytocin, which is a calming affect on women.
-Nursing also releases prolactin, which is a "love hormone" and helps a mother bond with her child
-Breastfed infants have reduced chance of getting diseases later on in life
-Breastfeeding enhances the development of the brain
-It totally helps women lose weight!! I only have a few pounds to go to get back to my pre-preggo weight!
-You have to eat a lot and drink a lot of water while breastfeeding
-It's just a beautiful thing that God designed for women to nourish their children. I understand that not everyone is able to feed by breastfeeding, but it was so designed by God and is amazing.
*Overall, I've learned that it is a blessing and honor to be a mother. I am surprised that I already have a desire to have more children, if God should bless us, but hopefully not for a little while. Thank you, Lord, for blessing us with a son and for giving us grace each day so that we may live for you!!
Thanks Ang! This is all so great! I'm thrilled for it all.. it sounds wonderful!
ReplyDeleteI am really happy that I'm still nursing Eli - I wanted to keep doing it through the holidays so I don't have to worry as much about my calorie intake! It's so much fun to eat all those extra calories a day :)
ReplyDeleteBTW, Troy is looking so much older in this picture!
Rachel-I know, it's great to eat a lot more calories! That's great that you are still nursing Eli. Do you plan to stop soon? I agree...he keeps growing up each day! Crazy?!
ReplyDeleteLove it! Can't wait to find all those things out for myself:) You are a great Mommy!
ReplyDeleteI have really enjoyed looking at all your cute pictures of little Troy. Wow! 9 pounds! Good job mama! Keep up the good work with nursing. Its the best gift you can give your child. :)
ReplyDeleteMy initial goal was to nurse Eli until he was 9-10 months. He'll be 9 months tomorrow. I'm not quite ready to be done, but I can see that he will probably lose interest in a month or so. I love nursing but it will be nice to not be so "tied down" to it too. I'm ready for regular bras and spicy foods again :)
ReplyDelete